Just a quick note to announce that we’ll be having the London Lua User Group meet up happening at the Mozilla London office this Thursday 17 October at 18.30h, and I’ve stepped up to host it!
Although I don’t use Lua these days I still have sympathy for it and I’m curious to hear about the latest developments. John Graham-Cunning will be telling us about balloons controlled with Lua and low latency firewalls.
If you don’t know John, he successfully campaigned to get the British government to apologise over their (mis)treatment of Alan Turing. He is also working on building an analytical engine, and many more interesting projects, so I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an interesting meeting!
Note: the title of this post is the title of the meetup. I haven’t titled it myself! I’ve added quotes to reflect this :-)
It’s been approximately two years since I changed to using Ubuntu for my desktop needs. Before, I was using Mac OS, but I was getting increasingly annoyed with it and the direction it was heading for, specially since Leopard and was released.
I have learnt a lot with Ubuntu, and I think they’re doing a great work for popularising Linux as an environment anyone can use. But I am also a very picky person, and I am getting weary of the bloat that comes with each new version. I don’t consider them incompetent (far from it), but they are trying to please too many people and therefore including lots of stuff I don’t use. Probably I have got past the Linux-newbie level and should move to something a bit more advanced where I could change every thing as I pleased.
Today I have been thinking about the visual part, doing some sketches and all that. I’m not going to put any of them here, for obvious reasons. Although probably the end result won’t match with any of these early drafts, but you would probably comment about them and that would influence me, which I don’t want to happen.
I also thought a bit more about the way the components are going to interact together, which is something that I hadn’t thought about in depth yet.
Apart from that, I haven’t written a single line of demo code today :P
So the quest is set, the aim is clear: create something for Breakpoint 2010. There won’t be another opportunity; not at least under the Breakpoint umbrella.
The organizers have expressed publicly they don’t wish to organize yet another edition of nowadays biggest demoscene event, so it’s now or never! (At least until a new event this good takes off).
I already have had stuff of mine shown in their big screen. But that was before the true Big Screen, with capital letters. The 70 square meters one.
I must release something, I said to myself.
Of course, this means that in a way, I’m going to break my own self-imposed rule (
I will release things when they are done), but I’m working in a slightly pressurised scenario in order to finish the demo before setting off for the airport.
I have decided to keep a somewhat sporadic short demolog to keep people informed of what I’m doing, trace’s style. Hopefully it will help/force me to do things, daily, so that I don’t slack or procrastinate, and maybe you may help me too when/if I get stuck somewhere ;)
I’ll keep things short –this is probably going to be the longest post in the series– so that writing here doesn’t starve me of time to code.
This is the current status of the project:
- the theme is approximately set, but I won’t disclose it here
- I’m working on converting my on-its-own rudimentary OO-C synth (sorollet) to a bit less rudimentary C++ synth that can be embedded and interfaced, VSTi style, so that I can sequence everything from Renoise and play with parameters and settings in real time…
- … and convert Renoise’s Song.xml (inside the .xrns file) to my own data file — kind of means recreating a simple tracker which follows Renoise conventions (Lines Per Beat for example). I have taken a look at the Song.xml file, extracting and using the relevant data seems easy, specially since Sorollet was already using a tracker style format.
- So far I have managed to compile a VST plug-in in Linux. I had to solve several issues like having to compile for 32 bit while using a 64 bit OS, because Renoise is 32 bit too, gdb not willing to cooperate most of the times, the VST SDK docs being scarce and incomplete and not ready for Linux and etc, but I’m slowly progressing. Now I have a basic synth that can play sines or triangles, and transpose octaves. Awesomeness!
- This means I’m not using an mp3 this time. Could this fit into an intro? Maybe, but I don’t want to sacrifice code readability in order to make it fit into an intro… I’ll be more than content with making a demo!
- I need to find a way of producing a working Windows executable. Sadly, party organisers won’t allow a non-Windows .exe to enter the demo compo. Big BOOOOOOH for them. I have thought of different solutions, the easier is to install mingw in a VirtualBoxed Windows I’ve got, recompile my sources there and run the exe in my main machine, using wine. But I still have to try that, and I hope it works in Windows Vista :-S
- I still haven’t thought about the visual part, I fear I’ll have to script it as in ye olde times –no time for writing a visual timeline manager–, but I will probably use Lua to alleviate the pain.
So here’s the last installment of my demoscene sources: escena.org dentro version 2. It was done for past year’s Inspire democompo and it won (incidentally, there weren’t any other entries in the compo but hey, it’s not my fault! :P).
This demo used a different approach; instead of building a whole scaffolding of C++ classes I just wrote some glue code with C++ in order to be able to draw something with OpenGL, and scripted everything else using Lua. It was also a bit of a benchmark. The result isn’t bad, given my lack of experience with Lua :)
Here’s the HD video (and here’s on vimeo, if you prefer it to youtube), and finally, here are the sources.
PS: The count down goes on to 1, and…