(and some notes about CascadiaJS 2013)
Here’s the video from my talk at CascadiaJS:
I’m super ultra thrilled to say that I’m speaking at CascadiaJS next week*, on Audio Tags: Web Components + Web Audio = <3. The agenda seems not to be finalised yet so I don’t know when is my talk scheduled, but if you want to learn more about my latest delirium, and will attend CascadiaJS, then it’s your chance to get immersed in my soley-loquy (HA HA–isn’t it amazing to make words up!?)
I’m equally excited that I’m going to be in Vancouver for the first time, as I’ve never been so far up north-west. If Vancouver is at least as equally great as Toronto was, it’s going to be an extraordinary stay. It definitely has a bunch of great people already lined up!
BLOG! BLOG MORE! BLOGGING IS GOOD!
Which makes me feel guilty that I still haven’t published my very thorough and long post on MozFest which I attended two weeks ago, but it’s missing all the pictures which might make it more palatable, and I’ve been busy preparing my CascadiaJS’s talk, so it’ll have to wait.
I am also doing Nanodrawmo again this year, and even managed to convince some people in the office to join the challenge (Hi Zac! Hi Melissa!). So I drew every speaker from Full Frontal Conference instead of taking pictures and stuff. I will scan everything and publish it when I’m back from Vancouver, but in the meantime here’s a taster of the Duke of York cinema while waiting for the conference to start:
* It’s probably a tad too late to post about CascadiaJS there, but I don’t think anyone is going to attend a conference only because I am speaking at it anyway
Since Firefox now supports Web Audio by default, I decided to update all of sorollet.js‘s examples (the two of them) to work with the WebAudio standard AudioContext instead of just using webkitAudioContext. I also added screenshots, which makes it look nicer:
Since sorollet.js is basically an input/output module (you ask it for a number of samples, and it delivers), internally it is totally standards agnostic. The only things I needed to change were pretty much the way the AudioContext and the ScriptProcessor nodes were initialised.
Funny thing: I found a bug where ScriptProcessor nodes get called even if they are not connected. I prepared a nice test case… only to find the bug was already reported (#916384) and a test case existed. Sigh.
BUT MINE IS COOLER (because it works on Chrome too, and that way you can compare implementations).
Just wanted to show you my hardware test pattern and a bit of how my “installation” for MozFest will look like:
I’ll be at the Science Fair tomorrow afternoon/evening as part of the “make the web physical” area, so you can try and build some melodies with this!
See you there!