Photo by Shirley Glua, from CascadiaJS 2013
I'm a devrel for Mozilla, and I work on making the web the best platform. I am in #apps, #devrel and #devtools at irc.mozilla.org.
Third person bios for conferences and journalists and etc
- Longer bio: Sole has been building real time stuff for longer than she can remember. She works at Mozilla, helping making the Web the best platform (in general) and the best platform for realtime (in particular). She writes demos to test and spread awareness about new features, often involving Web Audio, WebGL, GIFs and/or cats, and breaks various browsers and reports an unspeakable number of strange edge cases in the process, all in pursuit of a robust platform that is a joy to develop for.
Sort of random trivia
I'm also literally slowly getting into running. I'm a very slow runner but I'm getting better. I bike to work and walk quite a bit too (it used to be about 7 km each day before I started biking, now it might be about 2-3 km), and I truly enjoy and wholeheartedly recommend it.
If you're into social networking, I've got a few links for you:
Oh, and I don't own a TV or watch it either.
Setup & tools of trade
Since I get asked this quite a bit...
My work machine is a
late 2012 MacBook Air 13", running Mac OS X 10.8.5 (yep, not updated to Mavericks yet)
MacBook Pro Retina 13" Early 2013 running Yosemite. I find it a bit too heavy so I'm looking forward to MacBook retinas.
- A MacBook retina Early 2015. Finally!
- MacBook Air 11" Early 2014 running Yosemite too
I use MacViM/vim/gViM for editing text, and my profile is git-versioned so it's easy to set up in new computers. My main browser is Firefox Nightly---I live in the very bleeding edge! Here's more info about my (not so) current setup.
My cellphone is a
Nexus 4 Nexus 5 running Android replaced by a Firefox Flame "full time" and I also use a Firefox Flame, Nexus 4, ZTE Open and Geeksphone Keon to test/run Firefox OS
- an iPhone 5s. I pretty much hate iOS and iTunes, but at least Google is not tracking all I do with Google Services, the phone fits in my pockets, and backups and syncs happen in 90% of the cases
In the past...
Some noteworthy things I did in the past (excluding work-wise):
I co-run xplsv.tv from 2004 to 2010. I wrote most of the core server code, and at times it was serving an insane amount of pages per day with just one server, so I'm kinda proud of that. I also took over escena.org, the Spanish demoscene site, in 2006, and rewrote its code twice, although it's now mostly stagnant---perhaps the Spanish demoscene is dead, after all.
I organised ifparty, the demoscene party in my university, from 2003 to 2005. We got people from all over Spain coming to our humble little event and we hacked on and watched demos. It was great!
I also programmed, made music and maybe even some art for demoscene productions, mostly under the ppg and xplsv groups. I've tried collecting them all in my demoscene page, but it's still incomplete. One day, one day... I've sort of "abandoned" pure demoscene stuff for now because I want to experiment with more interactive works.
I also hosted a radio show while at the uni. I only have a tape recording of a show and it's not even digitalised so you'll have to get content with knowing that fact alone. It was a funny experience and I got to live DJ with vinyl a bit, some days, if I was awake enough (the show was at 8 AM on Fridays).
Random facts, because why not?
- I learnt to read when I was 4, and programming with Logo when I was 8.
- I was once stung by a massive bee, and survived.
- When I visit a new town I look for the best coffee instead of the famous sights.
- I love ruins and abandoned houses.
If you want me to speak at your event in representation or on behalf of Mozilla, or want to request sponsorship from Mozilla for your developer event, please read these guidelines and if you think your event fits with the description, fill in the linked form.
If you have work-related questions (i.e. with regards to me speaking at your event), send an email to sole (at] mozilla.com. NOTE: If you send an email asking for sponsorship instead of using the form mentioned above, I will delete your email without answer.
If you want something else, ping me in twitter: @supersole
If you're looking for Soledad Penadés, Doctor in Chemistry, look here instead.